Monday, May 26, 2008

Academic Freedom

This blog has been prompted as a result of the recent arrests of Rizwan Sabir (22) , a postgraduate student at the University of Nottingham. I am currently an MA student at the University of Nottingham (studying Citizenship and Human Rights) and feel this really could have been me. It is a sad day for academic freedom and a sad day for the university.

I was incredibly proud of being a MA student at the University but I feel a little bit let down. So much so, I feel angry and a bit upset by these actions.

Academic freedom V Security/National interest
Why was he arrested ? for reading a silly document. This is ridiculous and disproportionate.

However, I am now completely disgusted by the university actions.

Do I deserve to be arrested? Or is Rizwan Sabir enough ?

I am Muslim student.
I am 22.
I was born and bread in Britain.
I am studying for MA at the University.
I studied for a Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism module.
I wrote an essay on Terrorism.
I “researched” terrorism.
I am “brown”.

Do I qualify? Surely racial profiling means I do qualify.


ARE WE IN CHINA NOW ? Freedom of Speech.

No comments: